Led by a Foundation Board composed of representatives from GRESB Members and Partners, the GRESB Foundation is the primary platform for GRESB to engage with the industry, owning and governing the standards upon which GRESB BV – a separate profit-for-purpose benefit corporation – performs its assessments.
The GRESB Foundation, GRESB BV and GRESB Members work as one to deliver a shared vision of an investment community that plays a central role in creating a more sustainable world, one where society can meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs.
The Role of the GRESB Foundation
As an independent standards-setting body, the GRESB Foundation works to develop, maintain, improve and publish GRESB Standards annually, in time for GRESB BV to perform its assessments.
Specifically, the GRESB Foundation:
- Facilitates active industry engagement and consensus on the GRESB Standards
- Ensures that the standards are feasible and can be practically implemented
- Provides inclusive representation across GRESB Members and Partners
- Ensures that the standards continually evolve to advance the foundation’s mission
The GRESB Standards
The GRESB Standards are a set of guidelines to assess and benchmark ESG and related performance of real and other assets. As such, the GRESB Standards will provide a globally recognized and consistent means of assessing and benchmarking the ESG performance of assets and portfolios. The Standards include the questions, evidence and indicators to assess ESG performance, including the weighting of the indicators.
The GRESB Foundation focuses on the development and approval of the GRESB Standards. GRESB BV uses the Standards to assess the ESG performance of participants, including applying quality validation, scoring, and benchmarking,
GRESB Foundation 2024 Roadmap & 2024 Standards Changes
The GRESB Foundation just released its forward-looking 2024 Roadmap, which reflects upon future priorities for the Standards for the near- and longer-term future. The document also highlights the Foundation’s hierarchy of advisory groups that help evolve the Standards, alongside critical support from the industry.
GRESB also just released its much-anticipated 2024 Standards changes. Every year, as part of the annual standards development process, the Real Estate and Infrastructure Standards Committees review stakeholder feedback and potential improvements to the GRESB Standards. They then make recommendations of their endorsed changes to the Foundation Board, which ultimately determines the advancements to the Standards.
GRESB also recently announced a new Infrastructure Development Asset Assessment, which will launch in April 2024. This new assessment is designed to cater to pre-operational assets in the development and construction phase.
For a detailed description of the process, the objectives, and the changes, please visit our 2024 GRESB Standards – Roadmap, changes and events page. Please also see more information about how GRESB aligns with other ESG reporting frameworks.
The GRESB Foundation Board
The GRESB Foundation’s formal decision-making body, the GRESB Foundation Board is composed of the following GRESB Members and Partners who each serve a three-year term (which began in January 2022):
- Esther An, City Developments Limited. View Board Member Profile
- Matt Christensen, AllianzGI. View Board Member Profile
- Mathieu Elshout, PATRIZIA. View Board Member Profile
- Vincent Felteau, PSP Investments. View Board Member Profile
- Patrick Kanters, APG Asset Management. View Board Member Profile
- Maarten Jennen, PGGM (Deputy Chair). View Board Member Profile
- Kathleen Jowett, LaSalle Global Solutions (Chair). View Board Member Profile
- Helena Olin, AP2. View Board Member Profile
- Will MacAulay, HESTA. View Board Member Profile
- Dominique Moerenhout, EPRA. View Board Member Profile
- Shama Naqushbandi , AIMCo. View Board Member Profile
- Stéphane Villemain, Ivanhoé Cambridge. View Board Member Profile
The interim secretary of the Foundation Board is Roxana Isaiu, Chief Product Officer.
Creating a roadmap for GRESB Standards and Assessments
In 2021, the GRESB Foundation launched an 18-month stakeholder engagement process to create a shared vision for future GRESB Standards and to develop a roadmap for the future with all GRESB Members and Partners for implementation. Read more about our Strategic Roadmap.
For information on roles within the GRESB Foundation, please see the terms of reference for:
Watch this video to learn more about the GRESB Foundation.