- More infrastructure funds and assets are reporting to GRESB than ever before.
- New sector-based materiality scoring tailors the assessment to different infrastructure sectors creating a globally recognized foundation for benchmarking assets on their performance.
- Moving to standardized sector intensity metrics will give investors comparable data and an ESG framework they can apply to all their investments.
- 48% increase in funds participating in the Infrastructure Assessment with their underlying assets.
- 22 Sector Leaders are named for their sustainability leadership and commitment.
Amsterdam September 13, 8:00 AM CEST- GRESB, the global environmental, social and governance (ESG) benchmark for real assets, today released the global results for the 2018 GRESB Infrastructure Assessment.
The infrastructure sector is responding strongly to the ever-increasing investor calls for greater transparency on ESG performance. Now in its third year, the infrastructure assessment has reached “critical mass” with strong growth in participation – a 75% increase in assets and 17% for funds compared to last year.
Notable in this year’s benchmark is the 48% increase in funds participating in the Infrastructure Assessment with their underlying assets. This enables the funds to obtain the GRESB Fund Score (the ultimate measure of Fund ESG performance for investors).
“Now in its third year, we are delighted that the industry has endorsed GRESB Infrastructure by growing participation significantly. We are now well on the way to emulating the GRESB Real Estate Assessment and becoming the global standard,” says Rick Walters, Director Infrastructure at GRESB. “We thank the new and continuing participants for their diligence and congratulate them for improving their performance individually and as an industry. We look forward to supporting our investor members to use this fresh data to engage with their funds and assets and enhance their decision making. Whilst the global infrastructure and SDG gaps are large and formidable, strong ESG performance is surely one of the keys to unlocking further infrastructure funding and bridging these gaps.”
This year materiality-based scoring was introduced across the Asset Assessment ensuring that participants were assessed on the ESG issues material to their sector. This work not only has created a foundation for benchmarking assets on their performance but is also providing highly relevant ESG data and insights to the infrastructure market.
GRESB infrastructure participants are increasingly reporting on their energy and greenhouse gas emissions and starting to set improvement targets. This increased reporting is allowing GRESB to begin to set sector standards for intensity metrics that provide investors with comparable data they can use to monitor all their investments.
“Participation in GRESB has grown again in 2018 as investors seek standardized and validated ESG data to assess the sustainability of their real estate assets,” says Sander Paul van Tongeren, Co-Founder and Managing Director at GRESB. “This investor interest, backed up with accurate performance benchmarking, is empowering the spread of sustainable best practices across the world. We congratulate all participants in the 2018 GRESB Assessments. Their efforts are shaping the future of sustainability leadership for the sector.”
2018 GRESB Sector Leaders
This list of Sector Leaders recognizes the infrastructure funds and assets taking measurable steps to incorporate sustainability into their operations and communicate their performance to investors and other stakeholders.
Fund Sector Leaders
- Arcus European Infrastructure Fund 1, Region – Europe
- Archmore International Infrastructure Fund I, Region – Globally diversified
- AMP Capital Diversified Infrastructure Trust, Region – Other (includes Africa, Asia, North America, Oceania and South America)
- Asper Renewable Power Partners 2 Fund (RPP2 Fund), Sector – Renewable Power Generation
- Archmore International Infrastructure Fund I, Sector – Diversified
- Macquarie Super Core Infrastructure Fund, Sector – Other (includes Data infrastructure, Social and Transport)
Asset Sector Leaders
- Adelaide Airport Ltd – Transport – Airport Companies
- Alpha Trains (Luxembourg) Holdings S.Ã r.l. – Transport – Rail Companies
- Associated British Ports, Hermes GPE LLP – Transport – Ports
- HELIOS, Mirova – Social Infrastructure
- Lochard Energy (Iona Operations) Trust, Lochard Energy – Energy Resources (Energy Pipeline, Resource Processing and Resource Storage Companies)
- Ørsted A/S – Diversified
- PowerCo Limited – Network Utilities (Electricity Transmission and Distribution, District Cooling/Heating, and Water & Sewerage Companies)
- Saubermacher Dienstleistungs AG, UBS Asset Management – Other Sectors
- Sonnedix Power Holding, J.P. Morgan – Renewable Power Generation – Solar
- Southwest Generation Parentco, LLC, J.P. Morgan – Power Generation x-Renewables
- Towercom, AMP Capital – Data Infrastructure (Telecommunications and Data Storage)
- Transurban Limited – Transport
- Transurban Limited – Transport – Road Companies
- UDICITE, Mirova – Social Infrastructure – Education Services
- Ventient Energy Ltd, J.P. Morgan – Renewable Power Generation
- Ventient Energy Ltd, J.P. Morgan – Renewable Power Generation – Wind
View more infrastructure results
View 2018 GRESB Infrastructure results snapshot PDF.
View 2018 GRESB Infrastructure results page.
GRESB is the global environmental, social and governance (ESG) benchmark for real assets. Working in collaboration with the industry, GRESB defines the standard for sustainability performance in real assets, providing standardized and validated ESG data to more than 75 institutional investors, representing over USD 18 trillion in institutional capital. In 2018, a record 903 property companies, funds participated in the GRESB Real Estate Assessment. The Infrastructure Assessment covered 75 funds and 280 assets, and 25 portfolios completed the Debt Assessment.
For more information, please contact:
Claudia Gonella, Marketing & Communications Director at GRESB
Tel. +31 (0)207740220